Can I connect a Zoom G1X Four to my pc by USB?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Aether, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Aether

Aether New Member

I am going to buy a Zoom G1X Four and I wanted to know if it is possible to connect the Zoom G1X Four to my pc using a USB cable for recording purposes?

2. Mog

Mog Member

You can connect the Zoom G1X Four to the PC using a USB to save / load / create patches with the Tonelib Zoom software. However, to record the audio output you'll need to use a USB/Audio interface with digital output (eg Behringer) connected to the Zoom G1X Four audio output.

3. Aether

Aether New Member

Thanks

4. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Hi Mog.
    I am new to zoom gear. I tried to use my sonicport VX {which I have been using as my interface for my DAW on my laptop).
    I tried plugging my zoom G1X four into it but no sound.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

5. Renegade

Renegade New Member

It's ok. Got it sorted. Swapped a few cables. May have a couple of duds.
    Cheers

6. Mog

Mog Member

Hi Renegade,
    I don't know if this will be much help but things to check would be:
    1 - Install drivers for Sonicport VX (which you've probably already done)
    2 - Check if you get sound when you connect your guitar directly to the Sonicport (no effects pedal)
    3 - If step 2 works then link guitar through effects pedal to sonicport
    4 - If step 2 works but step 3 fails, it could be the USB cable between effects pedal and sonicport is faulty, replace and try again.
    5 - If step 2 fails it could be a faulty cable between guitar and sonicport or sonicport and PC, or your DAW isn't set up to accept the Sonicport driver or your PC is not seeing the Sonicport input (check sound settings -> recording -> mic).

I know these are just basic checks, maybe someone with more experience of the Sonicport VX can help you further.

Best Wishes
    Mog

7. Mog

Mog Member

Sorry, both messaging at the same time, glad you sorted it.

Mog

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  8. kevin carothers

kevin carothers New Member

Hi- sorry Ima coming late to this party...

I just use my 1/4 jack - to - AD USB cable and plug it from the G1X Four to any USB-C connector (via dongle) to Garageband on my Mac. I specify Audio Interface instead of guitar and that bypasses all the Garageband stuff... Although I can add a Garageband drum track, but I don't really like the ones available... but I can usuallt just manage with a GB metronome.

Easy Peasy. Sounds pretty good too.

I wouldn't record an album with it, but it's a really cool intuitive, extremely portable environment... I can carry all my gear (except guitar) in a courier bag and go anywhere, edit/dowload patches & play tracks anywhere - did it in a library study room a coupla times and emailed the project to my guys. Total cost $15 for the cable. YMMV. Just search on Amazon for "Garageband guitar cable" and buy that.

I would think Audacity would be my 1st PC choice...
    LOL at the thought of doing it on a Chromebook... unless there are ideas...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023