Tonelib-metal UI

Discussion in 'Testimonials & Suggestions' started by xenobarbital, Feb 18, 2022.

1. xenobarbital

xenobarbital New Member

Hi. Got to give some feedback about the UI changes implemented on tonelib-metal. The best example would be the controls of cab simulator module.
    Here is the good old GFX:
    [​IMG]

Everything is perfect, and yes minimalistic. Which is fine if you ask me.

Now here is a similar module on Metal:
    [​IMG]

I understand that you wanted to give it a more authentic look, but this made the module a pain to use. On a 15 inch screen laptop I need a magnifying glass to see the controls. There are other instances of this problem on other modules as well (amps, stompboxes, etc). But this case is by far the worst. I don't believe that there's no way to make a compromise between authenticity and usability.
    Your move guys. I believe in you.

P.S. VTS2 and VST3 plugins still crash Ardour on Linux.:(

Spatry likes this.
  2. thefunnyside

thefunnyside Member

Hi,
    I don't use it but at first glance, I was thinking that it was quite cool.
    You've just convinced me I don't want this in GFX :p

3. xenobarbital

xenobarbital New Member

Look, I get the idea of creating an illusion of real hardware on the screen. I quite like it myself, but I think there's a way of doing it without making my eyes bleed. Like here for instance:
    [​IMG]

4. thefunnyside

thefunnyside Member

Yeah. Amplitube's UI is stunning. Its price is less stunning though :p

5. xenobarbital

xenobarbital New Member

That was Bias FX. But same qualifiers apply, I agree.

6. thefunnyside

thefunnyside Member

I’ve been fooled :p. Having used Amplitude, they seem to be vers similar.

7. Spatry

Spatry New Member

As a Linux user, I am accustomed to great software that is not bloated down with extravagant graphics. Tonelib-GFX really shines in this area, it packs a lot of punch into a package with a very small footprint. I am impressed by the fact that it runs so well on legacy hardware. Moreover, you can run multiple instances of it in your DAW without consuming exorbitant resources.

After testing the DEMO of Tonelib-Metal I have concluded that the GFX is superior in many ways. I would like to encourage the Tonelib developers to focus on what makes GFX GREAT. I believe GFX IS SUPERIOR to most commercial Windows plugins on the market when you consider what is being offered at the humble price point. Software performance is more important to me than aesthetics.

I would like to see the METAL options come to GFX as an expansion and I would be willing to pay a little more for that.

At the end of the day, I am happy with the user interface GFX has, the user experience and the fact that Linux is supported influenced my decision to pull out my wallet.

Ardour can be finicky when it comes to plugins, I could get GFX to work in Ardour (Arch Linux) but it would not let me use my presets, that was a deal breaker for me. Bitwig, Waveform(Free) and Reaper all support Tonelib very well. Ultimately, I ended up choosing Reaper as it is the best DAW I have tried on Linux. ::EDIT:: The latest version of GFX works with Ardour... I just tested it, the plugin window must be re-scaled to see the preset panel.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    xenobarbital likes this.
  8. thefunnyside

thefunnyside Member

As a long time Linux user, I’d like a command-line UI please. (I’m kidding. Don’t feed the troll :p)

Spatry likes this.
  9. Spatry

Spatry New Member

Interestingly, I launch tonelib-gfx with a shell script which automatically invokes 'qjackctl' then deletes the insufferable "recordings" directory it likes to deposit in HOME whenever it is launched.