Linux - Tonelib Jack config file ?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Tersyguel, Oct 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Tersyguel

Tersyguel New Member

Hi there,
    I recently download Noisereducer plugin and I like it, but ...
    when I try to connect it before ToneLib-GFX, in app config system loose its mind and makes garbages.
    I don't really understand how Tonelib team is doing its jam, so I look into config file hopping find something to fix, but.... didn't find nothing.
    Plus, Tonelib doesn't listen to qjackctl or Catia connection schem. It's really painful.

Is there a config file somewhere i could edit to fix this annoying issue ?
    Where ToneLib store its jack connections ?
    I'm pretty fade up to spend 15mn each time to get things working.

Thanks guys for the helping hand, if any.

2. tonelibwlk

tonelibwlk Member

I'm using Jack and didn't have any issues setting it up. Started ToneLib-GFX. Started Noisereducer, went into its "Audio/Midi settings", changed it to Jack, unchecked the "Mute audio input", and then the rest was just the routing in Qjackctl.

TLPlus.png

3. Tersyguel

Tersyguel New Member

I forgot to tell I'm using Pipewire, then, I don't use jack-sink.

4. tonelibwlk

tonelibwlk Member

Yeah, well, then I can't help.

For any distributions out there pushing Pipewire, or anyone who is doesn't realize they're getting into severe beta software, well, just stop. The number of questions that I see on forums asking how to get software X working with pipewire is just increasing exponentially, and if pipewire did what it's supposed to do, well, then it would just work. So, I know it needs tested and vetted.... But this feels like 1998. This is doing Linux and Linux audio a disservice by putting this un-ready software out there as a recommended option. It's not. Sorry.

By the way, Jack Sink is installed, but it's not in the signal chain. So that's a red herring if you look at my stuff and think Jack Sink is involved. We're going from capture_2 to noise reducer in_1 then noise reducer out_1 to JUCEJack in_1 then JUCEJack out_1 & out_2 to playback_1 & playback_2.

No offense to you, Tersyguel, regarding my rant above about pipewire. My recommendation, is switch/revert to Jack or Alsa, and get comfortable with that. I need Jack for certain software that I use, and it works great. Pipewire is not there yet.

5. Tersyguel

Tersyguel New Member

I'm not offensed, no worry.
    I was using Jack before as you do, Pipewire is not so much unready as you think, but it missing some tools to be really efficient. beyond this, it is a good system and I appreciate it.
    My clue is that I don't really understand why Tonelib tools have this behavior. This is not the case of other that working flawlessly, only tonelib. The difference reside in that others have a jack config tool talking to jack where Tonelib seem to try to do it automaticaly.
    I have also Tonelib-Metal and get the same problems: one Tonelib tools is confusing the other. For exemple, if I use Tonelib-Metal, check config then shutdown, even if ToneLib-GFX was properly config before that, output is mute. And reversely, when I go back to Metal, config is change. And Between GFX and Noisereducer, this behaviour is instantly, Noise input unchecking directly GFX input even if jack is set properly.
    Well, it's weird.
    That's why I was asking if ToneLib was storing jack connections some where.
    (sorry if my english is very nice, I'm not native)

6. tonelibwlk

tonelibwlk Member

You're doing great with your english, and I know what you're talking about. The way ToneLib (automatically) connects to your system is... unique, yes. I haven't seen anyone else do this, and I can see how that could cause issues. I'm wondering, if you use something like qjackctl, or some other jack connection manager, you could create some persistent connections in the patchbay (in qjackctl, for example), and that would perhaps re-connect appropriately each time you exit?

This is old, but I think it's still valid:
    https://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76

You could set up a patchbay, or perhaps multiple, and switch between them: https://github.com/rncbc/qjackctl/issues/67