Midi connection to DAW

Discussion in 'Testimonials & Suggestions' started by Alfred, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Alfred

Alfred New Member

Hi, thanks again for such a Wonderfull program!

Here is my suggestion:

Can you give Tonelib a virtual midi in and out port so we can send and recieve program change and expression from our daws?

2. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

Good idea, added to todo list. Thank you!

3. Jorzef

Jorzef New Member

That would be awesome if you could do it!

James Edinger likes this.
  4. dave_t

dave_t New Member

Love the Tonelib software! Adds so much utility to the hardware! :)

I've been able to get my DAW to recognize the G1xon as a MIDI device, just by plugging it into my laptop's USB port. It shows up as "Zoom series" or something like that in my DAW's list of MIDI devices. I'm using Reaper on Windows 10. The most I was able to do was to send program change messages, which change the patches on the pedal.

While researching further, I installed a couple of standalone freeware utilities that monitor and send MIDI messages (including sysex). Again, I was able to send program changes, but I don't know how to get the pedal to receive or send sysex data.

I found a couple of web resources that talk about other Zoom products' use of sysex
    e.g.:
    https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_9150.pdf
    https://github.com/g200kg/zoom-ms-utility/blob/master/midimessage.md
    But in terms of generating and manupulating sysex data, I'm way over my head.

I assume that the developer of Tonelib has figured it out in order to update the pedal from turning the knobs in the Tonelib software. And the developer of ZoomLib has figured it out and developed hardware ("ZPI", avaiable for purchase) for footswitch and pedal control of G1xon parameters.

It would be cool if Tonelib or some other software could link parameters to MIDI CC messages - you could then customize your own setup with a DAW, and generic footswitches or expression pedals. To be honest, I think what I'm looking for is that the developer of ZPI has figured out, but for free. :confused: Here's hoping. $0.02

5. Alex

Alex New Member

any news on this ?

6. Andrey Seven

Andrey Seven New Member

Hi There! It would be really great to be able to control the Zoom MS-70CDR via DAW. For example make Tonelib as a VST plugin. By the way, who knows whether it is possible to make tempo synchronization with DAW?

James Edinger likes this.
  7. To some extent, yes. If you mean tempo dependent delay and modulation time adjustment, this can be achieved by calculating respective times in the software and then passing them to the pedal. This should be enough for delay, reverb and modulation.

8. Jorzef

Jorzef New Member

Any news on this, thanks!

9. James Edinger

James Edinger New Member

Has anyone found a software solution to midi automation for Zoom-MS70-CDR?

10. I'm afraid it's still about to be made. However, this is totally possible.

Chinmoku likes this.
  11. Valerio1988

Valerio1988 New Member

any news here? Would be nice to control the parameters of each effect through knobs! Even just keyboard shortcuts would be nice!

12. rgptonelib

rgptonelib New Member

Any update with this? I would like to use an external controller (arturia beatstep) to control the knobs of the zoom tonelib

13. shooking_sybase

shooking_sybase New Member

14. Ondra

Ondra New Member

Hi guys, I did some research :) not complete, but I hope it helps you somehow. these strings are relevant to G1 Four, other pedals has different ID (4th row of string I guess?), so you has to send Inquiry Sysex msg to your device to get it:

global inquiry request: F0 7E 7F 06 01 F7
    Zoom G1 Four response: F0 7E 00 06 02 52 6E 00 0C 00 32 2E 30 30 F7

sheet> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A6Klb15rmg-pwMM3DqBdw-L2Ew1dzK4_axu98vS6eyo/edit?usp=sharing
    src> https://github.com/mungewell/zoom-zt2

upload_2023-1-6_3-0-44.png

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  15. shooking_sybase

shooking_sybase New Member

16. Ondra

Ondra New Member

Hi,

I don't understand why do you asking me like that, I had no chance to seen your wiki before you post it here :)
    Anw, I see similar list of SySex commands there, so no big difference for me..