ToneLib JAM and ToneLib GFX for Linux

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by naual, Mar 12, 2019.

1. naual

naual New Member

I just downloaded both apps (already have ToneLib Zoom - works like a charm!) and...not working...:-((((

Using Linux Mint 18.1 Serena, 64-bit, 8GB RAM, 2x256GB SSD.

Installation is correct, all dependencies are satisfied , but when I clicked on the icon(s) nothing happened.
    Try to restart, re-install, looking for properties - not working.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    Can I start JACK?
    Or something else?

Any help will be more then welcome!

With best regards!

2. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this bug in my workstation and I don't know how to go about finding out the problem :(. I did a fresh install of Linux Mint 18.1 Serena (64) using the installer and the ToneLib Jam works fine for me.

ToneLib Jam may be run on top of an audio system (Jack or ALSA). With Jack is quite easy to control the latency. Go to Setup in Jack Audio Connection Kit and a tune periods, a period size and a sample rate. The 5msec latency must be fine.

3. naual

naual New Member

Hi!

Thank You for quick response!

It's a very strange indeed...
    Anyway, when I start ToneLib GFX from command line I receive error - "Illegal instruction"
    And when I install ToneLib GFX (or JAM) with GDebi, installer actually install app twice!
    Via terminal is OK.

Must be JACK started before or after running ToneLib GFX (JAM)?
    Is it possible that my USB audio interface make error (Steinberg UR22mkII)?
    Or my computer just refuse to start app, without any reason (well known behaivour from Windows environment)?

I have installed some audio software - Ardour, Tracktion 7, Rosegarden, Tractor etc...
    Is it possible that this software make errors?

I'm still trying...:)

Regards!

4. wcguitar

wcguitar New Member

I have been trying to start GFX an JAM for several days on my Mint 18.3 Cinnamon installs...two different pcs, and both apps do the same thing (basically nothing). I have updated the systems and reinstalled the apps, still nothing. The Zoom app works fine on these Mint installs. Still hoping/trying...its not only you...these are complicated and very useful apps and I appreciate the developers work on them...:cool:

5. naual

naual New Member

Ah, good to see I'm not alone:)

Well, what I actually do?
    I make a fresh install of Linux Mint on other computer, Lenovo laptop, nothing to install, just fresh full installation including updates and patches, and GFX and JAM still not running:-(

But, as member wcguitar says - these are complicated and very useful apps and I appreciate the developers work on them...

As long time Zoom user (from GFX time 'till now) GFX and JAM for Linux is all I need:)

So, I hope developers found a way to start GFX and JAM on Linux:)

But, I have one question for developers - is it possible to make some kind of "portable" app, in Linux is called AppImage?

Maybe some files needed for GFX and JAM are not present on my installation, and AppImage can have it all...just idea...

Regards!

6. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

naual, wcguitar,

Thank you for your comments! We have managed to reproduce this issue, which seems to only occur in the latest release on Linux Mint. I am sure we will be able to come up with a fix soon.

7. naual

naual New Member

No problem at all my friend:)

Your contribution and effort to Zoom community is priceless:)

Regards!

8. wcguitar

wcguitar New Member

Thanks for your work on these apps...have a great day...

9. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

naual, wcguitar,

In order to address compatibility issues with Linux Mint 18.x, please download the latest versions (3.5.3) of the applications from our web-site. Thank you again for your reports and help in getting this fixed!

10. naual

naual New Member

I really don't know what to say except THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!!!
    Works like a charm, ToneLib GFX is AMAZING, brilliant sound, no latency, cracking noises....absolutely perfect!

Try to recording guitars, sounds impressive...

So, once again, thank you VERY VERY MUCH for your effort and time to fix Ubuntu distribution:)

And I have one question:

Is it, somehow, possible to make something like multi-processor effect using ToneLib GFX?
    Raspberry PI3 (or something else FPGA based) with some kind of touch display and some minimal Ubuntu distro, just with JACK and audio drivers?

I'm first who gladly pay for something like that - sound is AMAZING, much bettter then many others multi GFX:)

Any idea?
    Pro's and con's?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  11. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

I think that is no big problem :). Personally, I like what guys from MindMusicLabs.com have done (MusicOS). NAMM 2019:

But... the software stability and sound quality is our first priority right now :).

12. wcguitar

wcguitar New Member

All three apps now working great on Mint 18.3 install. As Valentine Michael Smith once said, "Thou art God, I am God, all that groks is God." and you guys grok...

13. naual

naual New Member

Yeah, I agree:)

MusicOS seems like to be a really big stuff:)
    We are living in a very exciting time, just 5 years ago stuff like this will be in SF domain:)

I'm not so good in hardware (I have a knowledge, but, aparently, not enough:)), so my next question maybe is funny or dumb, but...who cares:)

Anyway, is it possible to make something like, I don't know, Helix,Mooer G200/300 or similar multi effects processor for guitar, but based on ToneLib GFX and Raspberry PI3/FPGA/MusicOS ?

You have a hell of a GUI, sound is more than impressive (believe me, I try/bought/have almost all available guitar multi-effect processors on the market), so make ToneLib GFX as hardware guitar multi-effect processor will be IMHO real deal:)

I'm working almost whole day, recording etc... - stability is OK, no crashes, collaboration with JACK is well done:)
    There's a little noise on high gain, but I found a way how to eliminate (put guitar in a Zoom G1Xon where ZNR is active and...voila - no noise anymore:))

Regards!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  14. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

If you mean a device like this:
    [​IMG]
    there's no problem about it. Originally, Tonelib-Gfx was designed with an ability of running without GUI and being externally controlled by MIDI.

As for hi-gain noises, we're intent to add new Noise Gate effect (ExtremeNg?) with the upcoming update, which will have wide variety of settings.

15. naual

naual New Member

Yes, I thought about similar device:)

Of course this device will be able to run in front of amp, not like audio interface?

One question - the parameter controls for pedals, amps etc.. in non-GUI scenario will be possible through MIDI controller, or over the knobs on the device, or any other way?

In case of live gig scenario, must be a possibilities to change parameters on the fly:)

And how complicated is included touch screen with full GUI to be a part of device something like this:

ToneLib_GFX-idea.jpg

16. Kott

Kott New Member

Hi,
    It's really great, that Tonelib supports Linux!

I have same or similiar issue on my openSUSE Tumbleweed WS. Tonelib-Jam starts but now window appears, still process is running.
    In terminal output says:
    xprop: error: No window with name Tonelib Jam - Untitled exists!

But it works if i run it with strace:
    strace ToneLib-Jam 2>/dev/null

I redirected output because it's huge and don't know what to looking in.
    GFX works just perfect.

17. Same here on latest KDE Neon (Ubuntu 18.04 based) with KXStudio repos: I can't run the app via .desktop file, but it runs with strace. This is what looks problematic:

access("/etc/ld.so.nohwcap", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    access("/etc/ld.so.preload", R_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

The last string appears repeatedly in random places of strace output.

What also looks strange is this:

poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN}], 1, -1) = 1 ([{fd=5, revents=POLLIN}])
    recvmsg(5, {msg_name=NULL, msg_namelen=0, msg_iov=[{iov_base="\1\0\n\0\0\0\0\0\1\214Y\223\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", iov_len=4096}], msg_iovlen=1, msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, 0) = 32
    recvmsg(5, {msg_namelen=0}, 0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
    recvmsg(5, {msg_namelen=0}, 0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

access("/usr/bin/dconf", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

recvfrom(20, "SelectionBox.foreground:\t#cfd8dc"..., 10124, 0, NULL, NULL) = 10124
    recvmsg(20, {msg_namelen=0}, 0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
    (the above also appears repeatedly in different variations, like below)

poll([{fd=20, events=POLLIN}], 1, -1) = 1 ([{fd=20, revents=POLLIN}])
    recvmsg(20, {msg_name=NULL, msg_namelen=0, msg_iov=[{iov_base="\1\1-\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\2\0\0\0\0\0\2\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", iov_len=4096}], msg_iovlen=1, msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, 0) = 32
    shmget(IPC_PRIVATE, 10000, IPC_CREAT|0777) = 2293769
    shmat(2293769, NULL, 0) = 0x7ff5e44af000
    poll([{fd=20, events=POLLIN|POLLOUT}], 1, -1) = 1 ([{fd=20, revents=POLLOUT}])
    writev(20, [{iov_base="+\0\1\0", iov_len=4}, {iov_base=NULL, iov_len=0}, {iov_base="", iov_len=0}], 3) = 4
    poll([{fd=20, events=POLLIN}], 1, -1) = 1 ([{fd=20, revents=POLLIN}])
    recvmsg(20, {msg_name=NULL, msg_namelen=0, msg_iov=[{iov_base="\1\1.\0\0\0\0\0\7\0 \2\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", iov_len=4096}], msg_iovlen=1, msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, 0) = 32

close(6) = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)
    (a possible attempt to close a nonexistent file)

access("/home/alex/.config/Gadwin/Tonelib Jam/_app_temp618e36fa.settings", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    access("/home/alex/.config/Gadwin/Tonelib Jam/_app_temp618e36fa.settings", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    (this also is strange, as I have all the access rights to my own home directory and any child objects inside it)

Otherwise strace output looks fine.

18. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

Thanks for reporting the issue and providing the logs! What version of KDE Neon are you running (/etc/os-release)? We'll investigate what's going on.

19. NAME="KDE neon"
    VERSION="5.15"
    ID=neon
    ID_LIKE="ubuntu debian"
    PRETTY_NAME="KDE neon User Edition 5.15"
    VARIANT="User Edition"
    VERSION_ID="18.04"
    HOME_URL="http://neon.kde.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://neon.kde.org/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.kde.org/"
    LOGO=start-here-kde-neon
    PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
    VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
    UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

20. Kott

Kott New Member

alexthebassist

did you try latest version? my case is fixed since 2.5.7 (recent version 3.7)