Processing limit

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Stoph, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Stoph

Stoph New Member

Hi All,

Suspect this might be a stupid question but it's driving me nuts and can't find an answer anywhere. When building chains using tonelib, I get two messages when (I think) the combo I am adding gets too big for the memory. One is where the effect I am trying to add disappears and is replaced by "bypass", the other is where the effect is greyed out and a message in red says "processing limit".

Are these caused by the same thing? Just seems a bit random - would be great if there was a little bar on the screen that showed the memory filling up. Nothing worse than building up a great chain and not being able to cap it off via an amp sim or noise gate.

Advice appreciated.

2. “Processing limit” has nothing to to with memory, this is bound to available CPU cycles. Memory, though, isn't a limit at all, because all the DSP code is compact. On my system, ToneLib GFX doesn't consume more than 40 megabytes of RAM, even with a lot of effects.

3. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

Unfortunately, that's not possible at the moment for MS/G1x/B1x due to firmware restrictions.
    This feature is available only for G5/G3x/B3x/G1x-4/B1x-4.
    tonelib-zoom-g3.PNG

4. Stoph

Stoph New Member

Thanks - just to clarify - was referring (probably inaccurately) to limits within pedal not computer. Is your suggestion that the limitation may be the laptop rather than pedal? I might try to run performance diagnostics while building a chain and see what is happening with cpu load.

5. Nope. If it's about pedal, then, as Tonelib already answered, there are restrictions in some models that prevent user from viewing mow much memory is present or free.

Of course, you should've mentioned what exact product you're talking about in the first place, that's basic forum etiquette.