Good value usb interface for live rig?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by brucezepplin, Apr 12, 2019.

1. brucezepplin

brucezepplin New Member

I would like to try ToneLib GFX for a live rig. Anyone have any recommendations for a usb audio interface or an input device for my guitar? I'm guessing a device which also passes on the output from tonelib to FOH too. Thanks

2. mickron

mickron New Member

Hmm… interesting. I like the utilitarian look of these things. Price and features aren't bad either.

3. I don't know much about interfaces that fit into pocket, but I'd recommend any of entry level Presonus. They've got amazing preamps, plus, they are rock solid built.

4. Natelok

Natelok New Member

I use a presonus usb96, which is the size of a good sized book. Previously used an M-Audio Mtrack which was smaller again, not exactly pocket sized, but not much bigger than a couple of phones stacked on top of each other.

I use a mid range laptop running Linux mint and get a latency of around 3ms without pushing the laptop at all, using the presonus.

The whole chain is Guitar into wah into presonus into laptop via usb back to presonus to l/r output channels or single stereo output for headphones, both with their own volume control. It also has phantom power onboard for condenser mikes. I've run the outputs direct into a PA desk, into studio reference monitors, into a power amp and speaker stack (home made 200w mono amp, 4x12 Marshall speaker box) and once into a guitar practise amp.

So there's a slight delay between playing and the final output, but it's so small I don't notice it. 3 to 5 ms according to the laptop, which is about the same as standing a couple of metres from your amp.

They retail around $120 from memory. I really like mine, and while you can get more channels, two in two out is enough for my needs.

The maudio was a bit noisy on the guitar preamp setting because it was getting old, and had a slightly higher latency, but did much the same thing. I upgraded because I found a presonus usb96 second hand for $90.

5. mr-es335

mr-es335 New Member

Hello,
    After much deliberation, I ended up with the Behringer UMC-404HD. Drivers have been rock solid and I have no issues whatsoever.

I personally recommend staying away from PreSonus and Focusrite - as their support is just awful.

If you can afford it, purchase either something for RME or Antelope Audio. I have used RME for years - but have found the Behringer more than adequate for my needs here.

Hope this helps?

PS: If you can, try to rent a unit and see where that gets you.

6. JokerZZ

JokerZZ New Member

I think it's been always like that.

7. Why in the hell would you need any vendor support except for replacement of a broken unit? I don't know how the things are in Windows domain, but in Linux all new (and most old) Focusrite and Presonus cards work like a charm.