ToneLib-Zoom to support modified Firmware

Discussion in 'Testimonials & Suggestions' started by Chris99921, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Chris99921

Chris99921 New Member

Hello,

It is actually possible to modify the firmware of a Zoom device and then install FX from different Zoom devices on it.
    I have written about this here:
    https://tonelib.net/forums/threads/how-to-install-other-zoom-fx-on-your-zoom-device-awesome.5657/

At the moment ToneLib-Zoom does not see these new and non native FX so they can not be edited with the ToneLib-Zoom editor.

I guess the editor just checks which device is hooked up and displays the FX that should be normally on the device, but does not check if there are other FX installed.

It would be awesome if this can be somehow addressed, so that people with a modified device could also edit all the FX they really have on their device via the ToneLib-Zoom editor.

Thanks for your consideration!

mirkoebasta, Audio01 and ted209 like this.
  2. Teacobouy

Teacobouy Member

Let me top onto your thread, the modified firmware performs well and would appreciate if its backed by a compatible Tonelib Zoom. I have acoustic and bass effects into my tonelib an it gives a perfect sound.

mirkoebasta and ted209 like this.
  3. ted209

ted209 New Member

Totally agree, this would be really useful. I love Tonelib-zoom but have gone back to editing patches manually on the pedal itself so that I can access the new effects I have added.

mirkoebasta likes this.
  4. Teacobouy

Teacobouy Member

i did modify mine and its working perfectly..but zoom doesnt have a true bypass so really kills that raw acoustic piezzo pickup tone and reduces it to a very weak signal. That is in the case when you have imported acoustic effects into your g5n. That is enough to tell me that Zoom AC3 is not a very good acoustic pedal since i have all its functions in my g5n and the thing they do best is to kill tone. So if you are an acoustic guitarist try another effect pedal coz Zoom does well with electric but on acoustic...it really sucks

mirkoebasta likes this.
  5. Dettroxx

Dettroxx New Member

Yes, i support this idea too. Two days ago i bought bass guitar and update firmware of my zoom g1on. Now i can play bass and guitar together, but tonelib only supports g1on effects, and bass presets look like empty presets (so, i change bass presets manually, but it isn't comfortable). It'll be cool, if tonelib will support modified firmwares too

mirkoebasta likes this.
  6. zib

zib New Member

+1 for "universal" editor

mirkoebasta likes this.
  7. mirkoebasta

mirkoebasta New Member

+1

New user here. First of all big thanks for this software, it is super useful for finding new sounds and tweaking the already good Zoom Multistomp!

It would be great if Tonelib Zoom could read the actual effects present on zoom pedals.

I would like to remark that this would be useful not only for the modified firmwares, but also for native effects: I have a MS50g and I removed some effects I don't use using Zoom's effects editor, but they still appear in Tonelib with the actual effect graphics, which is confusing because they aren't actually there, when I add the effect to a patch and it converts to a "bypass" effect.

Of course, supporting non-native effects would be great! I think the key is patching ZDL files and checking the FLST_SEQ status. Please see these thread, I hope they help:

https://github.com/Barsik-Barbosik/Zoom-Firmware-Editor/issues/11
    https://gitmemory.com/issue/Barsik-Barbosik/Zoom-Firmware-Editor/16/529157541

I am a programmer myself and trying to figure this out. I offer my help too!

ted209 likes this.
  8. KevinL7778

KevinL7778 New Member

I recently also fond the firmware editor and notices tonlib zoom does not display the modified patches, could the fix be as simple as adding the g1xon to the compatibility of the effect? How does one go about editing a ZDL file?

9. KevinL7778

KevinL7778 New Member

With the firmware editor #2 out now you can not only add all of the effects you like but yo ucan now load compressed files and remove the drums so you can fit almost every effect minus the amp simulators.

Please make the programe able to read what effects are available on the device, then load them to a file that is used to contain all available effects so we can use this amazing app to edit fast and painlessly. I would love to be able to make a b1xon and edit all of the available bass effects not just the b1xon stuff with your software.

I would even pay a small fee for the ability to have this feature.