G1X Four stereo output to mono amp

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by DaveT2, Jun 15, 2019.

1. DaveT2

DaveT2 New Member

I know this is a Tonelib forum but hopefully someone can help with my question.

The G1X four (probably like other Zoom boxes) has a Stereo 1/4 phone output for either amp or headphones. Is it okay to use a standard mono guitar cable to feed my amp or does this mess with the stereo signal output of the effx box?
    (I know that you don't get a stereo sound)

I hope you can understand my question. Thanks.
    DaveT2

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. Beatnick

Beatnick New Member

I understand what you are asking, but I don't have G1X four, but I do own several Zoom pedals and every one of them if you use a regular guitar cable out you will only get half the signal.

On some effects, you may not notice the difference, but you definitely will on stereo effects and stuff like ping pong delay.

You will need some form of stereo to mono adaptor. Either a cable that's stereo on one end and mono on the other or an adaptor that you can plug a regular guitar cable into. I'm sure they aren't hard to find online or even at a local music store.

Of course, there's always the chance Zoom did something different with this pedal, but I doubt it. The best way to test it is to try it with a patch using ping pong delay (I'm assuming the G1X four has that) set the feedback to 0 so you just get 2 delays (one left and one right). If you hear both delays you are good to go, if you only hear one delay you are only getting half of the signal.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on for so long, but I hope this helps.

3. DaveT2

DaveT2 New Member

Yes, that does help. I was wondering because some effx seem to sound muddy when played through the amp. I will do the pong test as you suggested. This is the first effx pedal I have had that supplies stereo thru one connector. My previous pedal had two jacks and if you used only one it would put out a mono signal. Thanks again for the response.

4. Beatnick

Beatnick New Member

The original G1 I have only has one output too, but I lose half the signal if I use a regular guitar cable. Even the ones that have 2 outputs will say the left is for mono (or headphones), but you still lose half the signal using a mono cable so I have to use a stereo to mono adaptor if I am hooking up to an amp. I think that's a pretty big oversite on Zoom's part, but I still love them. Ever since I first got my first 505.

5. DaveT2

DaveT2 New Member

That does seem to be a big oversite. There is nothing about that in the manual either. Can you recommend an adaptor or will any cable with stereo to mono connections work?

6. Beatnick

Beatnick New Member

Pretty much everything I have that does that has been lying around my house for years and I bought at Radio Shack, I know you aren't finding one of those easily. I certainly didn't spend a lot on them though. You'll probably have to do a little research on Amazon or eBay or wherever you prefer to buy. Just make sure both ends are 1/4 inch.

7. DaveT2

DaveT2 New Member

Again, thanks for your response. Time to do some more research. I did send the same question to Zoom so I am curious what they say. I will post their response here.

8. bigmalh

bigmalh New Member

you have to tweak each preset for amp or headphones on the g1xon you set the output of the simulated amp on the g1xfour you switch the mic on the cab on or off

9. DaveT2

DaveT2 New Member

I got this response from Zoom

Hello,

If you are using a TS cable, the device will output in mono (not just the left channel of a stereo signal).

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
    CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    [​IMG]
    2040 EXPRESS DRIVE SOUTH, S 500
    HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788
    P: 631 542 5270
    WWW.ZOOM-NA.COM

10. Beatnick

Beatnick New Member

Yup, never understood why Zoom did it that way.

11. DaveT2

DaveT2 New Member

It sounds like what I want. It creates a mono signal, it does not use only one channel, but combines them on output. At least that is the way I interpret the response.

12. Beatnick

Beatnick New Member

Sorry, misread the letter. They changed it since the other models then. On my G3n I only get the left channel when I use a regular guitar cable.

DaveT2 likes this.
  13. IanM233

IanM233 New Member

I just did a test using just a single Ping Pong on my G1 Four, and I only get one repeat, ie Ping, through the amp. Put the headphones on I get both Ping & Pong. So the signal is not combined using a normal TS Plug!

Ian

14. Beatnick

Beatnick New Member

Thanks, Ian, that's how it's been on every Zoom pedal I've ever owned. I didn't even notice the first unit I had until I did a patch with ping pong delay. You need some way to convert stereo output to mono.

15. DaveT2

DaveT2 New Member

Well, Beatnick and Ian are correct. It only plays out the left channel on a standard mono guitar cable. Off to build a stereo converter. Curious as to why the Zoom guy was wrong.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Beatnick likes this.
  16. DaveT2

DaveT2 New Member

I have successfully made a stereo to mono summing box using 2 1k resistors. I have not tested it a lot but initial testing shows a very small, if any, loss of signal. Stereo Summing Box2.jpg Stereo Summing Box1.jpg

17. IanM233

IanM233 New Member

I just tested using a stereo 6.3 jack to phono lead, with the phono plugs going into a stereo phono to mono 6.3 jack adaptor, that I just happened to have and it works fine.

Ian

DaveT2 and Beatnick like this.
  18. Beatnick

Beatnick New Member

That's pretty similar to what I do. I have a cable that's 1/4 inch stereo one end and 1/8 inch mono on the other, then I use a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter. It's not a heavy duty cable, but it works when I need it.

19. DaveT2

DaveT2 New Member

I couldn't a cable adapter that was reasonably priced and it is hard to create one from a cable because of the size. This allowed me plenty of room to work.

20. IanM233

IanM233 New Member

744AEDDD-EE82-41ED-A940-4DBD09D8F33B.jpeg