ToneLib GFX VST for Linux

Discussion in 'Testimonials & Suggestions' started by alexthebassist, Apr 11, 2019.

1. lordbullingdon

lordbullingdon New Member

So, I've been running this issue by the Ardour forum as well, and I found this thread which appears to described a similar issue as the one I'm experiencing: https://discourse.ardour.org/t/vst-plugins/88894/5

It mentions something about "disabling JUCE_WEB_BROWSER in the ‘juce_gui_extra’ module" – does that mean anything to anyone?

Similarly, over at the Ardour forum it was suggested that "re-compiling it with <JUCEOPTIONS JUCE_WEB_BROWSER="0" /> should help": https://discourse.ardour.org/t/tonelib-gfx-vst-not-listed-as-plugin/100937/5

Many thanks in advance!

2. This isn't gonna help, as it will break online preset functionality. This isn't vital for those who do production, however, but people will be angry at why Linux VST is unable to load presets from the “cloud” while it's possible on any other OS.

3. lordbullingdon

I see. But would it be possible for me to recompile it myself, for personal use, since I am just going to use it for production and not for preset sharing?

UPDATE: What could be the reason that the plugin is blacklisted in Ardour on my system specifically?

4. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

Just wanted to let you know that we are working on solving this issue as soon as possible. We'll post again as soon as we have an update. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

5. lordbullingdon

That's super to hear. I'm just grateful that this brilliant sim is available for Linux in the first place, and it would even better if I could use it as a plug rather than just route it via JACK. If you need any details about my setup that might help in the troubleshooting, just let me know.

6. Vasilis Lambrou

Vasilis Lambrou New Member

I'm having the exact same issue here, kde neon 5.15 with kxstudio repos. The workaround obviously is having Tonelib as a standalone connecting it to ardour via jack. Is there a way to open a second (or multiple) instances of Tonelib? Because I can only have one running despite running it again and so in a multiple guitar recording I can use only one sound. Any suggestions on launching another instance of Tonelib? Thanks in advance.

7. lordbullingdon

Not quite sure if this works, but at least on my system ToneLib has several outputs. Perhaps as a workaround you could build one rig per output pair and route the different sounds to desired target? Haven't tried it myself, just an idea. upload_2019-5-13_18-49-29.png

8. Vasilis Lambrou

Thank you for response lordbullingdon. Mine only has two outputs but either way, I cannot figure out how to have two(or more) presets running at the same time. I guess we'll have to wait for the update. It's a bummer cause Tonelib is just amazing as a standalone. I'll check again your suggestion in case I'm missing something and post if something comes up. Cheers.

9. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

10. Vasilis Lambrou

Unfortunately the blacklist error persists. I purged-removed the old version of Tonelib, cleaned vst cache & vst blacklist but I still get the same error:
    [INFO]: VST Blacklist:
    /usr/lib/vst/ToneLib-GFX.so

11. Kott

Kott New Member

the same

may it be cause by prlimit call ?

prlimit64(0, RLIMIT_NOFILE, {rlim_cur=RLIM64_INFINITY, rlim_max=RLIM64_INFINITY}, NULL) = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)

12. Kott

Kott New Member

Tonelib, what distro do you use for build and testing?

13. Olmedo

Olmedo New Member

Hello, the vst plugin does not open on my Lubuntu 16.04, I have tested both versions. Thanks for this great working tool for those of us who use linux!

14. lordbullingdon

Still blacklisted in Ardour 5.12/Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, I am afraid.

15. Vasilis Lambrou

It's also "Deactivated" in Tracktion 7.2.1

16. Also, there's a question regarding internal routing. A standalone app doesn't process in stereo, i.e. it downmixes a stereo input to mono. Will it be the same for the VST, or we will not be forced to use dirty workarounds to get the real stereo on guitar busses? The whole point of using amp sim VSTs in modern production environment is about processing a stereo (double tracked) DI. If the plugin can't do that, it either renders unusable or inconvenient.

17. Vasilis Lambrou

I don't what happened but I can see Tonelib in Ardour's plugin list! And it's working just fine! I 'm trying to figure out what were the changes I made. I was just messing around with Ardour and installed rakarrack + rkrlvl2. Then restarted Ardour and Tonelib was there and no longer blacklisted (emptied cache and rescanned plugins to see the log after that).

18. Tonelib

Tonelib Administrator

Yeah! I have found the bug related to low-level optimization to increase plug-in loading speed. This was a problem on some Linux systems (sorry), but now should be fixed! Please check the latest release (3.8.2, ToneLib-GFX.so md5:7b0d611d9d72ed609fb79dfb3077efb6) and let us know if the problem persist. Thanks to everyone for bug reports and feedback!

19. Kott

Kott New Member

yes it runs!

20. lordbullingdon

Sweeeeeeet! It works on my system as well. Thanks for prioritizing this issue and keeping us updated throughout the fix process. Having this new plugin will open up new creative vistas for me. : )