Audio crackles - so close to purchasing [Linux]

Discussion in 'Testimonials & Suggestions' started by penguinpilot, Feb 12, 2024.

1. penguinpilot

penguinpilot New Member

I'm a beginner guitar player coming from Rocksmith after hearing about Tonelib.

I downloaded the trial version of ToneLib-Jam and ToneLibMetal for Linux Mint and for the first few minutes, the audio sounds great (I'm interfacing using the Rocksmith USB cable to my electric guitar).

However, after a few minutes the audio becomes muddy, distorted and crackles until I restart the program. I've messed with the Sample Rate and Audio Buffer sizes but anything other than 22050 Hz and 32 samples sounds terrible.

I'm so close to purchasing because I think this is an awesome program but I'm not sure how to fix this. Any thoughts?

2. leafo

leafo New Member

Have you tried other audio software at the sample rates with success? Could be an issue with your audio interface combined with the performance of your system not meeting the requirements to fill the buffer in time. The sample size divided by the max frequency will give you the latency. Your computer has to fill the buffer within that time frame in order to output audio without crackling. If it's too slow and runs out of time then there will be unfilled audio in the buffer that causes the auditory crackling.

32 samples at 22050 Hz is 1.4ms latency, which is a pretty good target for live audio, but the frequency is not ideal for music production.

I would aim for 44 or 48 khz and adjust the sample size up until you get playback without crackling. Ideally your system can do below 5ms latency.