[solved] Pitch Shifter doesn't work as an on the fly de-tune

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by hmollercl, Nov 23, 2021.

1. hmollercl

hmollercl New Member

First of all, thanks for making this software available for linux, this and the good sound quality made me purchase it.

The pitch shifter effect can't be used as de-tune on the fly, I've tested in in linux and windows and the latency is big and produces some artifacts (maybe only because of latency).
    I've used guitarix de-tune in the same setup and in the "high quality" option the latency is also bigget than usable on the fly but it has a "low quality" (or maybe medium-quality) which works perfect at least with distortion. You could look at the code here https://sourceforge.net/p/guitarix/git/ci/master/tree/trunk/src/LV2/gx_detune.lv2/

Summers likes this.
  2. hmollercl

hmollercl New Member

I could make this work using tracking ~20[ms]. 15 also works but 10 doesn't in my case. The default of 85 is too much, I didn't realize it was ms.

3. tonelibwlk

tonelibwlk Member

I would love to hear how you made this work, because it is just garbage for me :( Guitarix is my go-to for pitch shift. This is what keeps me from going all ToneLib. I also have Graillon, which works well *but* it doesn't cover the full spectrum. It's designed for voice, and this doesn't match my use case.

Summers likes this.
  4. thefunnyside

thefunnyside Member

Hello,

I think the tuner in Tonelib works poorly. I always use Guitarix for this.

5. Summers

Summers Member

Please someone make pitch shifter work like archetype: petrucci.
    And thats gg.

6. hmollercl

hmollercl New Member

@Summers I use the pitch shifter for de-tune my guitar 1, 2 or 3 semitones. Not sure what you mean with petrucci (I know it's DT guitarist). Maybe you mean a "Harmonizer" in which you put the scale and the interval and it harmonize in for example 3rds in minor harmonic scale. I don't think tonelib has that (nice to have), I used it in my pod hd and it works pretty well for the end of "hold the line" solo from toto.

@tonelibwlk this are the seting for 1 semitone (Eb) down I use (for 2 semitones pitch should be -2):
    Effect: "PitchShift" (Modulation / Sfx), active - "yes"
    {
    "Pitch" = -1
    "Fine" = 0
    "Tracking" = 15
    "Direct" = 0
    "Effect" = 100
    }
    Tracing between 15~25 is what make it work to me. I'm also using 4.7.7 now, not sure if this setting worked before since this is the first time I could make it work, and I tried a loooot before (but maybe never tried this setting)
    Also in jack I have 8ms latency, maybe that's important too.

Summers and tonelibwlk like this.
  7. tonelibwlk

tonelibwlk Member

@hmollercl Thanks, I'll give those settings a try. My use case is one octave up, so perhaps things work better at only a couple of semitones. I'm more interested in quality than latency. I'm not trying to do anything live. Thanks!

8. hmollercl

hmollercl New Member

@tonelibwlk if you one octave intervals there is a pedall called octave, I assume it should work better in this case.

9. tonelibwlk

tonelibwlk Member

@hmollercl thanks, but unfortunately that only does octaves down :(

10. Summers

Summers Member

Thanks for your reply. i was talking about "Neural Dsp - John Petrucci" plugin, and how its pitch shifter works (built-in on the fly)!