How well does the FCB 1010 works with the Tonelib GFX?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Angel Candelaria, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Angel Candelaria

Angel Candelaria New Member

Hi.

I just got the Tonelib GFX several days ago and I'm looking for a MIDI Foot Controller that works well with it. I'm interested in using it for live performances to change patches, control volume/wah and tap tempo (mainly for delays).

I've seen several posts here about the Behringer FCB 1010. Can anybody who has it comment on their experience using it with the Tonelib GFX? What works, what doesn't?

2. Kott

Kott New Member

3. Angel Candelaria

@Kott didn't know that. Program change is actually the most basic feature I would expect, and the FCB 1010 is one of the most popular Foot Controllers for guitar out there. I would have expected it to be compatible.

Thanks for the information. Will surely vote for this feature.

4. MrCholly

MrCholly New Member

Haven't tried my FCB1010 with ToneLib yet, but I've gotten that controller to send both PCs and CCs. Kinda a PIA to program the thing, in my experience o_O

5. Dedekorkut

Dedekorkut New Member

Actually I am thinking of buying a second hand FCB1010. Nn my guess FCB means Foot Controller Booth or Behringer. By the way Iin my opinion this unit cann't be used as comfortably as modern midi controllers, as it uses very old technology.

I have a project for this board, to remove the orjinal PCB with ruins processor inside and replace it with a modular one. In this way, I guess that I can perform data processing more suitable or compatible with the interface.

6. MrCholly

MrCholly New Member

If you could Frankenstein new, more-efficient guts into the FCB's framework, that would be prime. Its steel chassis could beat off an attack, which is about the best thing going for it.

7. Angel Candelaria

Yes, the FCB 1010 can send both. The problem is that Tonelib is not recognizing the PC's.

8. Angel Candelaria

Anyway, I just wanted to update you guys @Kott @MrCholly . I managed to get it to work, although in a somewhat unconventional way.

Basically, I turned off the PC's and I'm using only CC's to control everything - patch changes, bank changes, tap tempo, etc. Not perfect, but it's a workaround, at least until Tonelib finally adds PC support.

If you guys are interested, I could make a video explaining what I did, as soon as I have some time to spare.

Mezcal Sonics and MrCholly like this.
  9. kidhudi

kidhudi New Member

I am probably going to get that midi board. Right now i have a ART X-15 midi board but i can't get it to work right.
    my biggest problem is on the X-15 ,ART set the up and down arrows as a "knob" or a "dial" they both have the same CC# so if i set the up arrow to "previous preset" i can't set the down button to "next preset" it tells me that the CC# is already being used.

did you run into anything like that on the FCB?

thanks.

10. Angel Candelaria

@kidhudi no. The only issue I had was that the Tonelib doesn't recognize PC's, so I had to make it work only with CC's. But apart from that, it's usable.

Mezcal Sonics likes this.
  11. Joseph district

Joseph district New Member

hello Candelaria! With FCB it is also possible to manage (start) the battery (time) and the recording? I activate these two functions with a USB pedal but if you could do everything via MIDI it would be convenient to use ONLY 1 pedal board (maybe the FCB that I intend to buy)
    Thanks

12. Angel Candelaria

@Joseph district honestly I don't know; have not tried that. But if it can be mapped through a CC, in theory, it should work.

13. Joseph district

Joseph district New Member

thanks, I checked and it seems we can .. as well as in the "hot keys" section it seems there is also the possibility to assign it via "MIDI"
    I was hoping you had already tried! :)

14. Kott

Kott New Member

Surely I'm interested! I though about converting PC to CC with some midi tools, but haven't had time yet.

15. kidhudi

kidhudi New Member

@Kott what software are you referring too?

16. Kott

Kott New Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Angel Candelaria and kidhudi like this.
  17. Kott

Kott New Member

Ok, it works. Translating PC to CC is quite easy with qmidiroute, yes you need to keep it running and connected.
    Of course there should be the same programs for Win/Mac.

Mezcal Sonics and kidhudi like this.
  18. kidhudi

kidhudi New Member

great i use Linux too. thanks

19. Goldentone1960

Goldentone1960 New Member

Hi Angel Candelaria

Just got the FCB 1010, any chance you could share the SysEX file from your 1010 so I can see how you have managed to get this to work. I can't seem to get my head around this midi stuff so if I see yours I may be able to work it out from there.
    Thanks
    Ric

20. Modiggs

Modiggs New Member

Yes